Director of Business Development and Partnerships
This pivotal role will lead The Adventure Project’s strategic fundraising that includes corporate giving, individual major gifts, foundations and large campaigns. While our digital team works to inspire grassroots giving, you will be spearheading the growth of our large partnerships as we work towards our Vision 2020 (learn more here: www.theadventureproject.org/vision). The Director of Business Development will work closely with and report to our Co-Founder and CEO. You will be instrumental in building our Development department. You will work closely with our CEO to steward our current supporters while building new key relationships.
- Work towards a collective goal of raising $2M in 2019 from corporate partners, foundations, and major givers.
- Develop and build a qualified portfolio of current supporters and prospects with the capacity to give $25K+ annually, personally setting a goal of raising $1M by the end of 2019.
- With the assistance of our CEO, design and build a Corporate Partnership giving program, building a roundtable of founders and executives who share our values.
- Utilizing Salesforce and prospecting tools, develop a metrics-driven strategy for your portfolio, analyzing supporter data to find new opportunities, drive efficiencies, and maximize results.
- Build and cultivate meaningful long-term relationships, meeting with supporters face-to-face to develop relationships that will optimize supporters’ connection to our mission and vision.
- With the support of our Communications team, write grant proposals, presentations, pitch decks, and impact reports for foundation and corporate partners.
In the first quarter, we expect you to:
- Build a robust list of leads and dream partnerships, identifying opportunities for collaboration.
- Make a pipeline, set giving targets for each potential partner, and ensure your strategy rolls-up to deliver on annual fundraising goals.
- Work with our Design, Communications, and Development teams to create a corporate giving pitch deck and corresponding landing/web pages.
- Create your annual development strategy, with benchmarks and goals for each of our giving channels.
- Work with our CEO, advisors, and board to pursue leads and steward current supporters.
You're Experienced: You thrive at the intersection of big-picture strategy and detail-oriented execution. You love the opportunity to accelerate our growth by building key partnerships and your maniacal about maintaining a robust pipeline and closing deals. You're not afraid to make the cold-call, the big ask or send the follow-up email. You're willing to put yourself out there because it means lives will be drastically improved because of your work.
You're Creative: You enjoy thinking strategically about how to build partnerships, align with brands and create opportunities to leverage our collective assets.
You're a Good Friend: To you, fundraising is not transactional. Development is about forging meaningful relationships and rallying a movement of people who share our vision of ending extreme poverty in our lifetime.
You Get Things Done: You are entrepreneurial and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment that feels more like a start-up than a traditional non-profit. No task is too big or too small and you are relishing the opportunity to build your own team. You follow-through, take initiative and get things done. You also value time and positive ROI; you can identify where to allocate your resources to maximize results. Administrative staffing and resources will be allocated to you, to help you succeed.
- 5 years of fundraising or sales experience, ideally within a medium-to-large non-profit organization or a growing tech-savvy business.
- Convincing. You have the ability to inspire donors to renew and increase their support.
- Skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications.
- Experience using and maximizing CRM tools (preferably Salesforce).
- Supporter-centric. You are genuine, transparent, and enjoy forging and maintaining key relationships.
- Some domestic travel is required. Travel to the field is not a requirement, but ideally you would be comfortable taking key supporters on annual site visits with our team.
We create good jobs around the world, so we believe you should have a good job, too. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and skills.
- Full health care, dental and vision coverage
- Transportation stipend (monthly MTA metrocard)
- Flexible work hours and vacation time
- Matching 401K
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
We sit in two, private sun-filled suites within an incredible shared workspace (WeWork) in DUMBO, Brooklyn. Just one block from the York Street F stop, it’s an easy commute for those in Brooklyn and Manhattan, and within walking distance to some of our favorite restaurants. We’re dog-friendly, kid-friendly and greatly enjoy the free coffee and on-site barista.
Flex-time and Remote Options:
Both Flex-time and Remote work locations are options, and we encourage qualified applicants to apply. Flex-time could mean working some hours outside the traditional 9-5, or it can be a reduction of hours for an adjusted salary.